There's more to Southern Cooking Than Recipes.
Southern Cooking. Some folks call it soul food. Others call it comfort food. Still others call it down home country cookin'. But if you ask me, I call it just plain good!
You see, there's nothing quite like wakin' up to the smell of fresh baked biscuits.
Or comin' home to a Sunday supper of fried chicken, mashed potatoes, a mess 'o greens, cornbread and a big 'ol glass of sweet tea.
Or seein' that pan of peach cobbler just waitin' for ya, yonder on the stove.
Down home southern cooking is more than just a recipe. For it to be good, you have to learn to put your love, your soul, into it.
Hi! My name is "Mama".
My kids are all grown so I decided to create a website for them, my grandkids and all of their friends. Hopefully, it will answer most of their questions because I'm startin' to think maybe my name is "MamahowdoI".
Then I thought, "Why stop there?". "Why not share my southern cooking recipes with the rest of the world?".
So...welcome to my website! Y'all come on in and make yourselves at home.
You're just a click or two away from discovering the best that southern food has to offer. From tips and down home country cooking recipes to restaurants and southern food festivals.
Enjoy your stay,
Oh, and I almost forgot, if you're wondering "MamahowdoI?", and you can't find the answers here, just fill out the "MamahowdoI?" form (just mash the button that says "MamaHowDoI?" on the left) and I'll get back to you just as quick as I can with an answer.
To find out "What's Cookin' With Mama", fill out the form below to subscibe to my monthly newsletter.
- Mama's Southern Cooking Blog
- Mama's Blog keeps you up to date with all additions and changes to the Mama's Southern Cooking website. Subscribe here.
- Tried and True Recipes From Mamas Kitchen
- Tried and True Recipes From Mamas Kitchen is the first in a series of cooking help books. I'm sure you'll find the 245 pages with over 400 step by step pictures a wonderful guide to these tnt recipes
- Southern Stuff
- Mama has all kinds of great southern stuff. From country cookbooks to funny aprons to neat kitchen gadgets. Come on in and look around!
- Mama's Cooking Beef
- Mama shows you different ways of cooking beef that will melt in your mouth. Any way you fix it, it's gonna be good!
- Cooking Chicken and Poultry The Way Mama Does
- Follow these simple tips for cooking chicken that will be the best, juiciest most tender chicken you've ever put your lips around.
- Cooking Pork Southern Style
- Cooking Pork and southern cooking just go hand in hand.
- Mama's cooking fish and seafood
- Cooking fish, whether it's fried, grilled, baked or broiled, Mama knows best!
- Recipes for Casseroles
- Can't figure out what to have for dinner? Here are some great recipes for casseroles that your whole family is gonna love!
- Tips For Crock Pot Cooking
- Crock pot cooking is great for anytime of year. It's time saving, uses less energy and doesn't heat the house up in the summertime like and oven does.
- All About Pressure Cooking
- From buying to using to recipes for pressure cooking. Mama's talking about it all.
- Homemade Recipes for Soup and Stew
- Nothing says comfort more than a big 'ol bowl of homemade soup and Mama's got some recipes for soup and stew that have withstood the test of time.
- Easy Appetizer Recipes And Tips
- Tips for planning and preparing easy appetizer recipes that will be the hit of your next party
- Great Salad Recipes from Mama
- There's nothing quite like a cool salad on a hot summer day and Mama has some great salad recipes that you're sure to enjoy.
- We're cooking vegetables and side dishes in Mama's kitchen
- So, pull up a chair and let's talk about cooking vegetables southern style.
- Bread baking tips from Mama
- Whether it's bicuits, cornbread, zucchini bread, just plain white bread or any other kind of bread you can think of, these recipes and bread baking tips with will make you an instant success.
- Great Dessert Recipes
- These southern great dessert recipes don't have to wait for a special occassion. I'll even give you some baking tips in case you find you're out of something.
- How To Make Ice Cream
- Anyone can learn how to make ice cream. All you need is.....
- How To Make Cookies
- If you're trying to learn how to make cookies, follow these simple tips and you'll have great cookies!
- Some great breakfast recipes from Mama's kitchen!
- Whether you like biscuits and gravy, pancakes, a breakfast casserole or even cereal, Mama's got a collection of some of the south's great breakfast recipes to get your day started right.
- Need Dinner Ideas?
- Do you need dinner ideas? I've decided to add a page to my site with pictures of what I am making for dinner.
- Recipes For The Grill
- I love summertime and living in the South, there tends to be a lot of it so I’m always in search of great recipes for the grill....
- Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes
- I have loads of Thanksgiving dinner recipes that my friends and family enjoy year after year and I'm happy to share them with you!
- Christmas Cookie Swap
- I thought it might be a fun idea to have a kind of “virtual” Christmas Cookie Swap where my online friends and family could come and post some of their all time favorite Christmas Cookies!
- Weight Loss Recipes
- It's amazing how many requests I've had for weight loss recipes. I know what you're thinking...
- Cooking and Baking Substitutions
- Need unsweetened chocolate but only have cocoa powder? Here are some cooking and baking substitutions that you may already have in your pantry so you won't have to drop everything and go to the store
- Spice Recipes
- Enhance the flavor of your meals with these great spice recipes.
- Cooking With Cast Iron
- Do you love cooking with cast iron and are looking for just the right piece of cast iron to get the job done? Here's where you'll find it!
- Is Southern Cooking Soul Food?
- I've had a lot of people ask me if there is a difference between Soul Food and Southern Cooking. Simply put, yes and no........
- Southern Restaurants and Food Festivals
- If your wanting to sample some great food, there are a number of wonderful southern restaurants and food festivals to choose from.
- Southern Cooking Schools
- There are 100's of cooking schools throughout the southern United States. I'm sure there's one that's right for you!
- Find Free Cooking Recipes and Cooking Tips
- Looking for free cooking recipes? Maybe some great cooking tips? Mamas Southern Cooking has what you're looking for!
- Link Partners
- I think you'll find these cooking link partners sites helpful.
- Submit A Recipe
- Would you like to submit a recipe and have it seen by people around the world?
- What's Cookin With Mama
- Subcribe to Mama's monthly ezine to keep up with "what's cookin'"
- Wondering MamaHowDoI?
- If you have a question that you want to ask Mama, just fill out the MamaHowDoI? form.
- Contact Mama
- Contact Mama by email
- About MamasSouthernCooking.com
- Let me tell you a little bit about myself and about MamasSouthernCooking.com!
- Advertising Policy
- advertising policy
- Site Policies
- site policies
- Tropical Fruit And Nut Bread
- Looking for something a little different? Check out this tropical fruit and nut bread made with bananas, coconut, pinapple, applesauce maraschino cherries and walnuts!
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts Recipe
- Use a quality extra virgin olive oil when making this simple roasted brussel sprouts recipe. It will make all of the difference in the world.
- Banana Ice Cream Recipe
- Over-ripe bananas and tired of banana nut bread? Here's a Banana Ice Cream recipe that will have everyone gathered around the bowl with spoon in hand!
- Best Apple Pie
- If you are looking for the best apple pie recipe, look no further! Here are step-by-step pictures to teach you how to make apple pie that will quickly become a family favorite!
- Barbeque Shrimp
- Now, don't ask me why they call this barbeque shrimp when it's not cooked on the grill. It's just one of those things that you just have to accept.
- Hamburger Stroganoff Recipe
- This hamburger stroganoff recipe is great on nights when you just want to get dinner on the table in a hurry. Even picky eaters will ask for seconds!
- Root Beer Can Chicken Recipe
- So moist and delicious! I'm sure you're gonna love this easy root beer can chicken recipe.
- Chicken and Mashed Potato Casserole
- What do you do with those leftover mashed potatoes? This easy chicken and mashed potato casserole will not only use up those leftover potatoes but will leave you whole family wanting more.
- Pot Roast Recipe
- This easy pot roast recipe can be made with a pressure cooker or a slow cooker and your whole family is gonna LOVE IT!
- Best Chicken Salad Recipe
- If you are looking for an easy yet great chicken salad recipe, look no further...
- Grilled Potatoes Au Gratin
- Au Gratin grilled potatoes! This no muss no fuss recipe for potatoes on the grill is great with chicken, burgers, ribs or just about anything else.
- Grilled Mustard Marinated Chicken Wings
- Looking for something a little different to fix on the grill? These mustard marinated chicken wings are nothing short of amazing!
- Whats for dinner...can't decide?
- Can't decide whats for dinner? Here are more great dinner ideas, complete with pictures and links to the recipes!
- Green Beans Recipe with New Potatoes
- This green beans recipe is a staple in most country homes. It just doesn't get more comforting than Green Beans and New Potatoes.
- Easy Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
- Here's an easy chicken and dumplings recipe that will taste like you slaved over a hot stove all day complete with step by step pictures.
- Fried Shrimp Recipe
- Who doesn't love a good crispy, crunchy fried shrimp recipe? Check out this great recipe complete with step by step pictures
- How To Make Crab Cakes
- Want to learn how to make crab cakes? Mamas crab cakes recipe has step by step pictures to guide you every step of the way!
- Poppy Seed Chicken Recipe
- This poppy seed chicken recipe is a great dish to take to a pot luck dinner or just have for a tasty weeknight meal.
- Hamburger Vegetable Soup
- Looking for a different way to use ground beef? Why not try this hamburger vegetable soup? It's a great, easy meal and the leftovers are even better.
- Chicken Croquettes
- Years ago, there was a restaurant called Howard Johnsons that had some chicken croquettes that hold fond memories for a whole lot of people. This chicken croquettes recipe with step-by-step pics...
- Broccoli Salad with Pasta
- I threw this broccoli salad with pasta together one night having no idea just how good it was going to be. It's really a wonderful recipe that you can adjust to your own personal taste.
- How To Make Butter
- If you want fresh butter, I'll show you how to make butter right at home in just a few minutes.
- Honey Wheat Bread Recipe for the Bread Machine
- I've been looking for a honey wheat bread recipe that is soft and light. Since I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, I found one that came close and made some changes to fit my taste.
- Banana Blueberry Muffins Recipe
- Need to use up those overripe bananas and don't want to make another loaf of banana bread? Why not try this banana blueberry muffins recipe!
- Sweet Potato Dumplings
- These easy sweet potato dumplings are great if you are looking for a side dish that's a little different or you can top with vanilla ice cream for a wonderful dessert!
- Eggs In A Basket
- Eggs in a basket are fun to make and fun to eat. You can even get creative with them around the holidays by using cookie cutters to make eggs in a tree or eggs in a heart
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Here's a wonderfully easy Chicken Cordon Bleu casserole recipe that is great for a pot luck or a delicious meal any day of the week!
- Chicken Ala King Recipe
- You can make this delicious chicken ala king recipe any time you want a warm, hearty meal and have it on the table in less than 30 minutes. Serve it over mashed potatoes, rice, biscuits or toast!
- Stuffed Zucchini Recipe
- This stuffed zucchini recipe is great on the grill but if the weather is bad, you can always bake it in a preheated 350° oven.
- Blueberry Pancakes Recipe with Mixed Berry Syrup
- You're gonna love these blueberry pancakes with mixed berry syrup and with these step by step pictures, they couldn't be easier to make. They may look like dessert but they're not overly sweet like a
- Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- Mama has a homemade chicken pot pie recipe with a light, flaky crust that will warm you heart and soul!
- S'mores Chocolate Covered Cheesecake
- Once you taste this chocolate covered cheesecake that tastes like a smores, you may decide that this is indeed the best cheesecake recipe you've ever tasted!
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken
- This bacon wrapped chicken is so moist, tender and flavorful. You can stuff this with broccoli, spinach or just use the cheese. Anyway you slice it, it's gonna be good!
- Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
- Bacon Cheeseburger Soup.....just the name of it sounds comforting!
- Coconut Pie Recipe
- This easy coconut pie recipe is loaded with coconut. And, if it's not easy enough, I've included plenty of step by step pictures to use as a guide.
- Homemade Cranberry Sauce Recipe
- Here’s an extremely easy and really good cranberry sauce recipe that you can make at home. I like mine with a little bit of an orange taste but if you don't like your with orange juice, just....
- Montreal Steak Seasoning Recipe
- Looking for a Montreal Steak Seasoning Recipe that's better than the one you buy in the store? Look no further!
- Fall Off The Bone Ribs
- One taste and I'm sure you'll love these moist and tender fall off the bone ribs! They are so easy to make and your friends and family will thank you for them!